giovedì 4 luglio 2013

NZ Refuge for Women

I've lived in New Zealand between 1994 and 2003. I came to NZ because I was doing research in Ethnomusicology. Then, after completing my studies, I decided to stay.

In Auckland, where I was based, I had the opportunity of knowing an organization where a very good friend of mine was volunteering. One day, I needed to move from a flat to a smaller one, urgently, and could not bring some of the furniture with me. My fiend said to me: "Why don't you call the Women's refuge, they may need a bed or other pieces of furniture. You know, they help people". And so I did, and had the chance of knowing this amazing organization and great people.

It's called Women' s Refuge, - has ben established in far 1973 - and it is an organization that helps the victims of domestic violence, by giving them "advice, emergency accommodation and confidential advocacy services" as it's stated in the home page of their website http://womensrefuge.org.nz 

This is a independent, bicultural organization and they have specific programmes for Maori women, children, migrants and refuge women, women with disabilities.

It's great organization, that each year helps thousands of women and children that are victims of violence and abuse.
Also, the way they promote the organization makes them vibrant and active, and luckily very present and well known in NZ community life.

They are launching a fundraising campaign in the month of July: the Women's Refuge Awareness and Appeal Month, an together with the billboards, press, radio and television campaign, they'll also raise the awareness of people trough the Donate Your Words FB App

Remembering my days in NZ, I'll always have a place for this organization deep in my heart.





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento